Amazon recently issued a small update to the Amazon Echo and other devices with the Amazon Alexa AI installed. If you’re a fan of Star Trek (or Radio Head), you can now say “Computer” or “OK Computer” instead of “Hey Alexa.” It’s really easy to do, so we’ll walk you through how to change the proper settings.
- Open up the Alexa app on a smartphone paired with an Echo
- Tap the hamburger menu icon at the top-left of the screen
- Tap Settings
- Tap the Echo you want to change
- Scroll to “Wake Word”
- Tap the drop-down menu that says “Alexa”
- From here you’ll be able to select other options, including “Amazon,” “Echo” and, yep, “Computer.”
- Select Computer
You’re all set! Now you can say “Hey Computer,” or “OK Computer” to pull up the Alexa AI whenever you want. I’m still waiting for Jarvis.